Thursday, August 20, 2009

Back to school - and tuition

Being a divorced or separated parent can add a whole new layer to the conundrum of how to finance a child’s education. In Pennsylvania, absent agreement of the parties, courts do not direct a parent to contribute to college expenses. In New Jersey, the law allows courts to order parents to contribute to post high school education expenses.

Before you negotiate this issue you should understand your options. Investigate financial aid - both loans and grants. Compare costs of different schools and do not forget to budget in extras such as books, commuting expenses, room and board and spending money. Some websites offer guidelines and tools to assist you:

The Basics - Financial Aid -

Student Loans -

Calculating Costs -

Saving -